Blood's Shadow by Cecilia Dominic

Cecilia Dominic wrote her first story when she was two years old and has always had a much more interesting life inside her head than outside of it. She became a clinical psychologist because she’s fascinated by people and their stories, but she couldn’t stop writing fiction.

The first draft of her dissertation, while not fiction, was still criticized by her major professor for being written in too entertaining a style.

She made it through graduate school and got her PhD, started her own practice, and by day, she helps people cure their insomnia without using medication. By night, she blogs about wine and writes fiction she hopes will keep her readers turning the pages all night. Yes, she recognizes the conflict of interest between her two careers, so she writes and blogs under a pen name. She lives in Atlanta, Georgia with one husband and two cats, which, she’s been told, is a good number of each.

Web page
Wine blog
Facebook
Twitter: @RandomOenophile
Pinterest


Encountering werewolves can be deadly. Trying to cure them? Murder.

As the Investigator for the Lycanthrope Council, Gabriel McCord encountered his share of sticky situations in order to keep werewolf kind under the radar of discovery. Now, as the Council’s liaison to the Institute for Lycanthropic Reversal, he advocates for those who were turned werewolf against their will.

Everyone seems to be on board with the Institute’s controversial experimental process—until one of its geneticists is found lying on his desk in a pool of blood.

Gabriel races to single out a killer from a long list of suspects. Purists, who believe lycanthropy is a gift that shouldn’t be returned. Young Bloods, who want the cure for born lycanthropes as well as made. The Institute’s own very attractive psychologist, whose most precious possession has fallen into the hands of an ancient secret society bent on the destruction of werewolves.

Failure means he’ll lose his place on the Council and endanger the tenuous truce between wizard and lycanthrope. Even if he wins, he could lose his heart to a woman with deadly secrets of her own.

Available at Amazon
Google Books

Also Available
The Mountain's Shadow, Lycanthropy Files Book One
Long Shadows, Lycanthropy Files Book Two

Happy Howloween Sale

Oct 25 - Nov 25

The Mountain's Shadow on sale for .99

Long Shadows on sale for $1.99

First, thank you so much for hosting me! I enjoyed answering your questions.

Q) What inspired you to write this story?
Scotland has fascinated me since I started dating the guy who is now my husband. He is of Scottish heritage, and I went to my first Highland Games with him in August 1996. They were in Jackson, Mississippi, and I had to admire the guys out there in their wool kilts throwing heavy things in weather that can only be described as hot and drippy. Possibly related – I found out it’s not a good idea to wear a beret to something in Mississippi in August. I was in college and finding my “look,” so please don’t judge. I promise it was really cute, if not practical, and don’t worry, I don’t wear berets now.

After that, I knew I’d eventually set a story in Scotland. When a Scottish character appeared in The Mountain’s Shadow, the first Lycanthropy Files book, it seemed logical the series would end up there. I’m so glad the story worked out, both with regard to series arc and the character I wanted to focus on, for that to happen.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
I started Blood’s Shadow last autumn, and I turned it into my editor at the end of April. There were fits and starts as life got in the way, so I would estimate it took me five-ish months plus one month of initial revisions. Then of course there were the rounds of revisions with my editor, and they took about another month. It was the sixth novel I’ve written, so I have my process down pretty well.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
It’s hard to define. After I’ve written, I feel content and peaceful, like I’ve been doing something I’m meant to do. When I take the Myers-Briggs personality test, my results show that I split my thinking and feeling functions. Perhaps writing feeds both my imaginative, people-focused and logical, problem-solving drives.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
I never feel like I have enough time or energy to devote to my craft. I also have a day job. The two could be related, and I often think, “If I was writing full-time...”

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
This is a tough one. I’ve always thought being an actress would be fun. I’ve done some amateur acting, and it’s kind of how writing feels, but more interactive and physical. I’ve also always wanted to be one of the Doctor Who companions, so maybe I’d be English actress Catherine Tate in 2008 during the filming of that Doctor Who season. Why her? Because she’s a ginger. And David Tennant was the doctor at the time – swoon!

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
My husband actually cleans the fridge out on a regular basis, so it’s rare for something to stick around for too long. Of course there’s an exception. We found a can of tahini, sesame seed paste, which has probably been in there for a couple of years. I believe we had delusions of regularly making our own hummus. Hubby just pointed out it still smells okay. I gave him the side-eye. There may be hummus in my near future. Wish me luck.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
My next book with Samhain Publishing will be a departure from my current work. They’re calling it a contemporary new-adult with romantic elements, and it’s about students in an MFA in genre fiction program at a fictional university in the North Georgia Mountains. As my main characters study the romance genre, they experience it, and they discover life is, indeed, stranger than fiction. Otherwise, I’ve sold a steampunk short story to Abyss & Apex, publication date TBA, and I’m writing a steampunk series. I’m also shopping around my other urban fantasy series.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)