Naliyah by Shauna Kelley


Shauna Kelley lives near Baltimore, Maryland with her husband and beloved mutts. Dedicated aunt, adventurous baker, and action movie fanatic, she spends her days writing, teaching, and crocheting. Kelley’s first novel, Max and Menna, was a ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Award finalist for Young Adult Fiction in 2010. Naliyah is her third novel. Kelley delights in the opportunity to interact with readers. Find her online at www.mmshaunakelley.blogspot.com.
Contact Links

Website: www.mmshaunakelley.blogspot.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ShaunaKelleyAuthor
Twitter: @ShaunaK101
Amazon: www.amazon.com/author/shaunakelley

23198493

Lenora Scheid can tell you much of human nature. After more than a century of traveling from warzone to warzone, she has experienced more than she can handle of mankind’s thirst for blood and power…she cannot, however, tell you what she is. Not exactly human, but not precisely vampire either, Lenora’s whole life has been spent under the watchful eye of her father. With only her dreams of a mysterious blue‐eyed man as company, she has little choice but to follow her father across the world despite his refusal to help her understand her true nature. As Lenora reaches the end of her tolerance with their life of travel and death, she comes face to face with her blue‐eyed man and everything changes. Can this man save her from a life of brutality? Or will the secrets kept from her for so long destroy them both? 

“Highly imaginative, captivating, and rich in characters and story… a must read.” --Tia Bach, author of The Tala Prophecies

Q) What inspired you to write this story?
This book had been brewing for years, and then suddenly I just sat down and started writing.

I had two disparate ideas. One was about an immortal girl who witnesses all manner of human brutality as well as the most intense of friendships and loves. The second was around the question ‘what if a vampire isn’t really a vampire?’

At some point, those ideas fused and Naliyah was born.

Q) How long did it take you to write?

This is the totally strange part of this book. Max and Menna, my first novel, took me ten years to write. Don’t Wake Up, my second novel, took about four years. Naliyah took about six weeks. Once I got going, I was so excited about the story that it just flowed. Having a few weeks off work during that time for the holidays helped, but the story really insisted on getting on paper fast.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?

I love it when I get ‘possessed’ by something, like I did with this book. I was so excited about what I was writing that I would just get into the zone and keep going. My husband kept having to interrupt me to remind me to eat (and trust me, I am not a person that often forgets about food).

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
Talking about my writing, which is very odd. I have no problem telling anyone about something I baked, my latest crochet project, what I did over the weekend, or my opinion on anything. However, when people ask me about my writing, I find it so uncomfortable to answer. I really have to push myself not to clam up!

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
Hmmm…. I would either be Katee Sackhoff, because she is gorgeous and talented and totally fierce or Emma Watson, largely for the same reasons.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
Victory! I cleaned out my fridge yesterday so I don’t have to be honest about what was growing in there. So currently, the oldest thing is a brick of 16 year Gouda that my husband has been slowly savoring (I am allergic to cheese, so none for me).

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
More books, I hope! I am almost halfway through the second novel in the series Naliyah is kicking off. I have some ideas for a zombie book following that, and from there… well, who knows!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)