Converging Fates by Jonathan Cortez‏


Jonathan Cortez is a graduate of Penn State Behren, with an Associate of Arts degree.


He was an avid reader and writer from a young age, but even before that his story-telling and world-building skills blossomed while playing with Lego. He largely developed his writing craft on his own.

Jonathan is a big fan of science-fiction and fantasy, although he only started reading the genres during high school. When not reading or writing, he enjoys watching TV and listening to heavy metal.

He is currently still studying at Penn State. He is also working on the sequel to Converging Fates.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathancortezru


Deep in the remote Undervalley, a scientist is creating a portal that will link two universes. Never mind the damage his research does. A taskforce of elves and humans must hunt him down before he destroys their universe. The elves hold the key, Mahavir, a human abducted from the other universe. He is the link between universes, and his death may prevent a disaster. But Mahavir has no intention sacrificing himself for others.

Q) What inspired you to write this story?
The prologue to Lord of the Rings. What is that? 2000 years before the main story or something like that, but technologically, everything’s the same. Metal-working, weaponry, clothing. It made me wonder why epic fantasy seems to always be in a quasi-medieval period. Also, I had a really boring job the summer I graduated high school, and to pass the time, I created most of the story in my head.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
Depends on what I use as a starting point. Technically, 2000. I started working on a Jurassic Park themed story that would become the template for the plot. I started writing the actual story in August 2009, finished and was sending queries to agents 9 month later. But I kept coming back for rewrites, and the biggest rewrite was right before I signed the contract, last summer.

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
Giving people enjoyment.

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
I’ve seen other people say the commercial aspects. I actually like that. Writing is my business as well as my art. So the hardest part for me is sitting down and motivating myself to write. Once I start, I’m good. I want to have enough discipline to write every day.

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
Wow. Never really thought about that. Alive or dead? Will I have the capabilities of the person so I don’t really frak up their job? Maybe Joan of Arc. I’d get the experience of living in a medieval setting, being a woman, and if it’s the appropriate day, burning alive without having to worry about dying for good.

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
That’s a tough question that I can’t accurately answer, because I commandeered a bunch of stuff from a friend’s apartment when she moved out. I found out a good amount of it had gone moldy after I moved it. The oldest thing I bought though is Soracha chili sauce, which I bought in January. That stuff went from nobody hearing about it to being a kitchen essential in a few years. It’s one of my favorite things that comes in a cylinder.

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?

Right now, I’m working on a sequel. I think it’s important to get a second book out within a few years. I have other novel outlines that may or may not end up being part of the Reagent Universe. I have at least one shorter work that’s part of the series that I’m going to put on Kindle. Most importantly, I want my next book to be better. Considering I was a teenager when I wrote CF, I’m pleased, but I’ve learned a lot since then, and I think I can give readers an even better story.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)