Meet An Author Tuesday

Today's guest is Meradeth Houston.  She'll tell you a little about herself.


I've never been a big fan of talking about myself, but if you really want to know, here are some random tidbits about me:


>I'm a California girl. This generally means I talk too fast and use "like" a lot.

>I have my doctorate in molecular anthropology. Translation: I sequence dead people's DNA and spend a whole lot of time in a lab, which I love.

>I've been writing since I was 11 years old. It's my hobby, my passion, and I'm so happy to get to share my work!

>My other passion is teaching. There's nothing more fun than getting a classroom of college kids fired up about anthropology!

>If I could have a super-power, it would totally be flying. Which is a little strange, because I'm terrified of heights.

Contact Links:


http://www.meradethhouston.com/
http://meradethhouston.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/#!/MeradethHouston
www.goodreads.com/book/show/13030422-colors-like-memories
http://www.facebook.com/ColorsLikeMemories



Julia has a secret: she killed the guy she loved. It was an accident—sort of.

Julia is a Sary, the soul of a child who died before taking her first breath. Without this 'breath of life' she and others like her must help those on the verge of suicide. It's a job Julia used to enjoy, until the accident that claimed her boyfriend’s life—an accident she knows was her fault. If living with the guilt weren't enough, she's now assigned to help a girl dealing with the loss of her mother, something Julia's not exactly the best role model for. If she can't figure out a way to help her, Julia's going to lose her position in the Sary, something she swore to her boyfriend would never happen.

Q) What inspired you to write this story?

A) This inspiration for this story actually came from a song by Linkin Park, called Shadow of a Day, which kind of dates the story because that song is old! I had already created the world of the Sary for other stories, but it all came together in Colors Like Memories.

Q) How long did it take you to write?
A) The first draft only took me a few months. It was one of those times when a story is just there, in your brain, and all I needed was to sit down and get it written. (Don’t you just love it when that happens? It’s an amazing feeling!) But then I had to do revisions. That took probably a few years of starts, stops, drawers, and re-writes. Overall, I honestly have no idea!

Q) What is your favorite thing about writing?
A) My favorite part about writing is getting caught up in a story and letting it reveal itself to you. I’m a “panster” so I often find myself discovering things as I write them. And that’s a whole lot of fun!

Q) What is your least favorite thing about writing?
A) Not having the time to really sit down and get to work. I’m a pretty busy person with lots always going on, and I hate that I have to really work to make sure I get to my stories every day. I often dream of having days on end with nothing else to do but write.

Q) If you could be any famous person for one day, who would you be and why?
A) I have never really thought about this! Hmm, I’m going to have to go with JK Rowling. Because I think it would be fun to lurk in her head for a day. This would mean I’d get to learn what her next novel’s going to be about, right? (I’m going to say yes, because I’m seriously dying to know!)

Q) What is the oldest thing in your fridge and how old is it?
A) As I write this, I’m living in Japan, which makes my fridge a little strange. I just got an apartment in Kyoto, so the items in my fridge that are actually mine (and not my house-mates) are jam, butter, and ground turkey. They were all purchased today. Random, right?

Q) What can readers expect from you in the future?
A) I’m currently revising another novel set in the Sary world. It’s a companion to Colors Like Memories, set a small college town with a Sary falling for a mortal, and all the fun that goes along with that . It’s currently titled Chemistry of Fate. I’m also working on An Absence of Light, which is a sci-fi YA that I call Buffy meets the shadow-monster from Lost. It’s lots of fun.

Thanks so much for hosting me, Pembroke! It’s been a pleasure!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)