Movie Review Monday

Underworld: Awakening (2012)

I am a big fan of these movies.  I remember when the first one came out.  So refreshing and new.  Such a great story.  The effects are fabulous, the characters wonderfully drawn.  The actors are usually top notch and some of my favorites.

The thing that strikes me as so cool with these films is the fact that most of the time, the werewolves are guys in suits.  There is a lot of CGI, too, but that old school way of thinking with monster effects just rocks.  I love that they do that.  I'm not a purist, and I do enjoy the CGI, and the combination of the two makes for a highly entertaining film.

The storyline of this particular film was interesting.  Since the first two films, they've been playing up the love story between Selene and Michael and hinting at the possibility of a hybrid child.  Well, that child shows up in this film.  I liked how they developed the story.  I did have some problems with the relationship between Selene and her daughter, but it was easily overlooked.  As usual, it was full of fabulous fight scenes, cool creatures/characters, and explosions.  My type of movie.

It was pretty obvious Scott Speedman didn't want to be in this film.  They had to write around that, and I hope they can fix it for the next two or three movies they are planning.  I'm sure they are smart enough to fix that, and I'm interested to see where the story goes.

If you like vampires and werewolves, I definitely recommend these films.  You can enjoy this film without seeing the others, but I recommend watching them first.  It will make things a lot clearer.  I had forgotten some things, so I will go back and watch the first ones again.  I highly recommend this movie.
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)