Movie Review Monday

Dylan Dog: Dead of Night (2011)

Not all comic books can be translated onto film. That should be the lesson here. The film wasn't terrible, but it wasn't very good either. It fell into that gray area that makes you scratch your head after you watch it, wondering what you just saw, but still feeling like you were slightly entertained. There were a few chuckles in the movie, and the idea was good, but the presentation was lacking.

Seriously, by the end of the film, I turned to my spouse and said, "Wow. With those graphics, that could have been a Sy Fy channel film." They were pretty bad. Even with Brandon Routh, who is pretty yummy, there wasn't much to save the film.

I put up a link to imdb.com so you can read what the film was about. I would like to try and summarize it for you, but I'm not sure how to go about it. It follows Dylan Dog, who was a detective for the undead. He retired due to some tragic death of his fiance, who may or may not have been a werewolf. Then, he comes back to work after some antique smuggler is killed by another werewolf.

There was a pretty cool huge mutated zombie, and the creature they resurrected could have been cool, but you could tell it was a guy in a suit. And not a good one. Even the werewolf "change" was lacking. Trust me, you'll just have to see it to know what I mean.

I didn't feel like I wasted my Friday night by watching this, though I doubt I'll ever see it again. I have a feeling it might be one of those films that becomes a cult classic.

Has anyone else seen it?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)