Movie Review Wednesday

I know, I know. I don't normally do this, but with the blog blitz starting tomorrow, I won't have a chance to tell you about Conan. I'm bending the rules.

I would also like to let you know that Life After the Undead ebook goes on sale tomorrow. I will pop in really quick to give you the link. Squee! I can barely contain my excitement!

Now, without further delay...

Conan (2011)

When I was a kid, my dad let me watch Conan The Destroyer (1984). That's the one with the princess and the journey with the monster Conan kills by breaking the mirror. Yeah, the bad one. Despite its shortcomings, I fell in love with the movie. The swordplay, the magic, the guys with really big muscles. What wasn't to like?

When I got older, I was allowed to watch Conan The Barbarian (1982). Wow. What a difference in movies! I fell in love all over again. The swordplay, the magic, the guys with really big muscles. But add into it a revenge tale. Again, so much to like.

I have to admit, I didn't have high hopes going into the film. Most remakes/re-imaginings fall short of the ideal. But I'm happy to report that was not the case with this film. Wow. What a different movie! I LOVED it!

The basic story line is there: Conan wants to get revenge for the death of his family, but then it changes. He's not fighting against a snake lord, and he isn't taken into slavery. He's still battling against evil and magic, and he's driven by hatred. There isn't a kick-butt Valeria, but the new girl can hold her own.

The movie had everything: explosions, great fight sequences, half-naked people, a horse chase, and a plot. My kind of film. The one thing that bothered me was it was in 3D and some of the fight sequences were so fast, they were blurry. However, when I buy it on DVD, I'll be able to watch them in all their glory!

If you enjoy fantasy movies and action, I definitely recommend this movie. I didn't think it was as good as the first Conan (maybe because I have nostalgic feelings toward it that I don't have toward this film...yet!), but waaaay better than the second. I would watch it again. And I will!
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)