Soul Searching Revelations

As I mentioned last Friday, I was going to spend the weekend figuring things out. Here's the conclusions I came to.

1) I need to exercise more.

I don't need to loose weight, goodness no, but I do need a healthy way to relieve stress. It's been about 4 years since I've done anything, and it's starting to take it's toll. It's no longer enough to chase my kids around. I don't have a lot of time, so getting a gym membership is out of the question (though I would like to start swimming again if I ever have the time. I'm petitioning for them to extend the day by 2 hours, but nothing's happened yet). My only other option is riding my bike.

My spouse bought me a very nice bike several months ago. Part of the reason I haven't been riding it is because the weather has sucked, but the other part is laziness. Sore muscles suck. Everyone knows that. I decided that instead of having sore muscles, I just wouldn't ride my bike. I took the easy way out.

For people who know me, they know I have a lot of pent up rage and stress. Things haven't been getting better recently, so something had to change. After watching my child overcome his fears with the pool, I decided to give it a go. It's only been a week, so I can't say if it's working, but my legs hurt so bad I don't focus on my anger as much (there is still some there, and there probably always will be, but instead of lashing out, I'm trying to focus it into my pedaling. Which comes in handy in the wind!).

2) I need to get back into a writing schedule.

I decided a few weeks ago that I want to be a professional writer. To be one, I have to act like one. That means I need to start taking myself seriously, I need to have faith in my work, and I need to get paid for it.

For-the-love markets are not bad markets, it's how and where I started, and I'm not discounting them, but I'm going to limit my submissions to them. I don't need to be paid outright, I'm fine with royalties, but I need to see some kind of return on my work. I don't edit at my job for free, and I'm considered a professional there, so I shouldn't settle for nothing when I work so hard on my stories.

Professional writers also dedicate time to their craft. I used to have a schedule, but things have been so hectic lately. It's all right to take a break every once in a while, but I have to think of it like a vacation. I have to go back. I have to push the distractions aside and just write. I have to overcome being tired and just write. There have been many times I've gone to my jobs exhausted, but I'm still expected to work, so the same has to be done with my writing.

Those are the things I came up with this weekend. I'm sure it doesn't sound like much, but baby steps are the key. Once I master these little things, everything (hopefully) will fall into place!

Did you do your soul searching this weekend?
Pembroke Sinclair's books on Goodreads
Life After the Undead Life After the Undead
reviews: 55
ratings: 100 (avg rating 3.64)

The Appeal of Evil The Appeal of Evil (The Road to Salvation, #1)
reviews: 38
ratings: 63 (avg rating 3.54)

Wucaii Wucaii
reviews: 32
ratings: 35 (avg rating 4.11)

Death to the Undead Death to the Undead (Sequel to Life After the Undead)
reviews: 20
ratings: 39 (avg rating 4.23)

Dealing with Devils Dealing with Devils (The Road to Salvation, #2)
reviews: 22
ratings: 32 (avg rating 4.00)